Sunday, February 10, 2008

Week Log: Feb 4-10

Mon-AM: 15 miles (2:03) Garden of the Gods-Rampart Range Road-Intemann-Red Rocks w/ Kyle
Nice easy cruiser run with Kyle in some great sunshine.  Did some bouldering in the Garden afterwards before it clouded up and started snowing.

Tue-AM: 21 miles (3:00) Section 16 Loop
This run was pretty rough because of all the new snow up in the mountains.  I was plowing through ~6" of fresh powder up on Section 16.  Wore the Crosslites on this run, and they worked pretty well in the snow.
PM: 5 miles (:41) North Monument
Nice easy jog in the evening after work.  Hadn't planned on running, but once I stepped outside it wasn't nearly as cold as I thought it was so I put the shoes on and cruised around in the dark.

Wed-AM:  23 miles (3:00) From Red Rocks: Up Gold Camp to the top of High Drive, down High Drive and back to the house.
This run began horribly.  It was a gorgeous warm day, but I felt like death, so I just told Kyle to go on without me.  Ended up feeling better after the first hour and cranked solidly the last hour or so at sub-7 pace.  Finished up with 10min of barefoot...the first of the season!
PM: 4 miles (:35) North Monument CRC run.  Felt good.

Thu-AM: 25 miles (3:00) 20x2min hard/1min easy on Gold Camp Road
Great workout.  I cranked pretty solid on these, and of course, got moving well on the way back down.  Felt good to get moving again.
PM: 4 miles (:33) Monument and downtown with Jocelyn.
Felt good and wore the Vibram FiveFingers the whole way, which were awesome.

Fri-AM: 10 miles (1:28) Mesas w/ Kyle
Ran nice and easy, but could've gone even easier.  I was sore from the workout yesterday, and I like to go easy on my easy day.  Had to pick it up at the end to get to work on time.

Sat-AM: 35 miles (5:03) Section 16-Intemann-Williams Canyon-Rampart-Garden+barefoot.
First actual long run in a while and I could tell.  It was a beautiful warm day and I was moving quickly all day despite not feeling that great.

Sun-AM: 35 miles (4:40) Navigators-Rampart-Stanley Canyon-Air Force Academy-Falcon Trail
Ran all the way up Rampart Range Road and then down Stanley Canyon to get to the Air Force to watch Jocelyn run at an indoor meet there.  Got a ride back with Kyle.  I was moving fast again today even though I didn't feel that great, mostly because this run was almost all road.  I found a sweet little trail--trail 713--that saved the day when the canyon boxed up and the road ended.  There is not much snow around here.  I would bet that I could go up and run Rampart Reservoir in a couple of weeks if we don't get dumped on.  There is so much less snow than we got last winter, which is good because that means I'll be able to get on Pikes a lot earlier which Kyle and I might have to do because Silverton is getting pounded this year.

Total: 177 miles (24:03)

This was a great week of running.  I didn't feel that great all week, but it was a solid week of getting back into it.  Now, I just need to string together about 10 months more of weeks like this and I'll be really happy with 2008.  This much running is completely sustainable--it's not too much, yet it satisfies all of my desires of being in the mountains.  Now, it's a trick of remaining disciplined enough to not increase it from here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Tony. I am glad to hear that you have been making use of the Vibram FiveFingers. What kind of temperatures have you been running in? I find that I can run in temps as low as 26 F, but only if I am running on dry terrain. Poor circulation in my toes from years of reckless skiing, aka frostbite.

TonyP said...

Tremendous week of running !

Pascal said...

Hi Tony,

What an amazing blog. Very interesting to see how you train. Your weekly mileage is very impressive. Each time I read the word 'shin' in your posts I ask myself how my body would respond under the same conditions.

uzalad said...

On Saturday Kyle Skaggs and Tony Krupicka tied 4:03 on the 50k course at the Moab Red Hot 50k.

Congratulations to both Kyle and Tony with this.

It was 22 minutes faster than last years winner (Karl Meltzer) but I don't know if it's a new course record.