Thursday, November 29, 2007

Thursday November 29, 2007

15 miles 2:05 East Gallatin Recreation Area-Peet's Hill-Kagy-Gallagator (july Slingshots)
This was a great run. I actually felt pretty tired physically most of the run, but my left ankle/foot was in good shape. The foot itself actually never hurt, which is a big improvement from yesterday, and the ankle was very cooperative too, although I could still feel some pain in there now and again.

I woke up this morning to an inch or so of new powder with it still dumping out of the sky. I love runs in new powder. All sounds are muffled, the air is usually very still (and not too cold--lower 20s this morning), and the snow provides a wonderfully cushiony surface. This time, it even added a little traction to all the ice that's around here (even though it hid the ice, I was able to stay on my feet for the whole run).

Running down in the Gallatin Rec Area is great. There's a nice trail loop that winds through some really dense trees, and then there's another loop around a small lake (home to the Bozeman Beach in the warmer months). The trails there also connect to the Cherry Creek River Access area which has a nice big loop (1.5 miles or so) through a wetlands area.

Even though I've definitely made my peace with wintertime now, I'm still excited to be getting back to Colorado Springs in a couple of weeks.

1 comment:

AJW said...

Tony,

Great post! Glad the injury is improving. I, too, had a wonderful run this morning in fresh powder. It was the best 90 mins of my day. There was no wind and a beautiful waning moon brightening the mountains around me. I understand the need to make peace with Winter as I am still struggling with the fact that I'm not in California anymore. That said, as long as you have the time and the resources to get out of the snow once in a while embracing the winter can actually provide a much-needed psychic break from the intensity of long-term ultra training.

AJW